Saturday, January 4, 2014

The Benefits of Yoga, and more specifically, the greatness of Louisville's Yoga Junction!!

There are many articles in circulation now about the benefits of yoga for athletes and non-athletes alike. I'd just like to share my personal yoga experience, made possible by the generous sponsorship of Yoga Junction...

When I first started racing professionally three years ago, yoga was not part of my training. It was something I did when I worked out in the gym during winter, when it fit into my schedule. Which meant that I did about 3-5 classes a year. Not enough for someone training in a static position on the bike for 15 hours a week.
I then discovered a fantastic yoga studio, right in downtown Louisville. Now yoga was more convenient and had a more natural feel than the gym classes.

As I started attending more classes, I became aware of just how badly I needed yoga! Forget reaching your fingertips to the floor, I was lucky if I could touch my knees!
I approached the owners, Carey and Melissa,  and asked if they'd be willing to sponsor me with yoga classes while I was racing. They were so fantastic, agreeing right away and giving me more classes per week than I could ever hope to attend!

Through their generosity, I came to incorporate a weekly yoga class into my training schedule. I began noticing how it not only helped my flexibility and core, but it helped calm and clear my mind as well. Of course I received the oft-touted benefits of balance, core strength, and increased flexibility, but I also started craving the mental peace my practice afforded me.
Athletes are constantly training and striving toward the next goal, competing against themselves and others. Yoga is the one safe place where we can let go and be present. This focus and body awareness helped me become a more balanced cyclist and competitor.

Now that I am taking a break from bike racing and moving onto endurance events of great lengths, I'm going to rely ever more on the mental strength and clarity I gained during yoga.
I believe that yoga is still an under-valued element of most athlete's training regimens. I highly recommend trying a class, if you never have, and to make it routine, if you currently practice.

Yoga Junction is a safe, welcoming, community-based studio that I'm proud to call home! I am so thankful to Carey and Melissa for taking a chance on me and my overworked body :)

No comments:

Post a Comment